Centre of Excellence for Periyar Thought(CEPT)
The major activities of the centre are Placement, Training and University - Industry co-ordination. In 2013, 75% of the students are placed through on / off Campus, a regular feature of the University. PMU also permits local Colleges / Universities to participate in the Campus interviews arranged in its premises.
- To disseminate basic ideas of Periyar
- To relieve people from all kinds of superstitions
- To instill a spirit of Scientific Inquiry and Temper
- E.V. Ramasamy popularly known as ‘Thanthai Periyar’, the great revolutionary thinker and social reformer. Worked for the emancipation of the suppressed, oppressed and socially marginalized.
- Awakened the poor and the gullible from the clutches of obscurantist philosophy and superstition.
- Served for abolition of untouchability and against social inequality. Periyar is the real emancipator of the women folk and a motivator of their education.
CEPT has planned and executed
- The Certificate Courses in order to orient M. Phil and Ph. D scholars in Periyar Thought.
- A Five year integrated Master’s degree Course in Periyar Thought and also to offer a one - year P.G. Diploma.
- Monthly meetings by organizing special Lectures on Thanthai Periyar by various eminent personalities.
- A 6-month Certificate Course on Periyar Thought for Teaching and Non-Teaching staff of the University.
- Encouragement of research scholars towards the study of Periyar and his thoughts in comparative angle.
- Certificate Course- 6 months
- Diploma course -1 year in Periayr Thought
- M.A in Periyar Thought -2 Years
- Ph.D (Research)- 3 years
- Both Part-Time and Regular
- Medium of the Courses-both English and Tamil
- Minimum of 10th standard (SSLC) pass for the Certificate Course.
- Minimum of Plus Two Pass for Diploma
- Any Degree is eligible for M.A in Periyar Thought
- Any Post – Graduate Degree with a minimum of 50% Marks
Presently the following staff members offer Class-room lectures, specially for the First year students of all branches in the University. Once in a month, similar lecturers on Periyar and his thoughts are arranged for the newly appointed teaching staff. Reason behind these teaching programmes is to disseminate the thoughts and ideals of Thanthai Periyar, a great passive and non-violent revolutionary and social reformer.
Staff Director: Dr.P.Arangasamy, M.A(English), B.O.L(Tamil), Ph.D(English)
More than three decades of teaching English language and Literature in First Grade Colleges and in Madras, Madurai and Tamil Universities. Authored about 35 books in Tamil and English. His publishers include Macmillan company, Sahitya Academy and Tamil University.
He has translated the part of a Cankam anthology Ainkurunooru and edited the whole book with a critical Introduction for the Central Institute of Tamil located at Chennai.
Under a Memorundum of Understanding with Cologne University, West Germany, he went to Cologne in to April 2015 to teach Periyar Thought and Indo – Anglian literature in the Department of Indology as Visiting Professor.
With two decades of experience in guiding candidates for doctoral research, he is at present supervising researchers in English, Indo – Anglian and Comparative Literature in addition to those who are doing research in Periyar Thought also.
Deputy Director: Dr.Anbalagan
A Prolific speaker and writer. Though a student of history, he has been disseminating the thoughts of Periyar in umpteen meetings all over Tamil Nadu. His doctoral research is on the dynamic social justice and its importance with special reference to the services of Dr.K.Veeramani. He has put in more than two decades of academic experience.
Assistant Professor: Dr.D.Jayakumar
He has put in three years of experience in the social service and in disseminating rationalistic ideas. Also served as Public Relations officer in the SRM Group of Institutions. His doctoral research is on humanistic principles of Thanthai Periyar. Contributed articles on various aspects of Thanthai Periyar in popular and referred journals. Submitted a paper on the History of Atheism in the World Atheist conference at Trichirapalli.
List of those who were awarded Doctorates in the CEPT
- 01. Dr.R.Samaraj – Did research on Periyar’s principles of Communism. Presently employed in an International School.
- 02. Dr.P.Jayakumar – Employed as Asst.Professor in Periyar Maniammai University. Awarded Doctorate in 2012.
- 03. Dr.R.Senthamarai – Employed as Asst.Professor of History in Pachaiyappa’s College, Chennai. She has done research on Multi – dimensional thoughts of Thanthai Periyar in 2013.
Following researchers are doing for doctorates on the topics noted below
- 01. Mr. K.I.N. Deiva Akandan Paraman, Topic – Periyar in Multi – perspectives
- 02. Mr.T.Vetriventhan, Topic – Periyar on Scientific Temper
- Scholars interested in doing doctoral research on all aspects of Thanthai Periyar are requested to contact the Directorate (CEPT)
The Centre has a medium purpose - oriented Library with almost all works, both in Tamil and English on the life and works of Thanthai Periyar. This includes a complete set of all the bound volumes of Kudi Arasu weekly and thirty two volumes of Periyar Encyclopaedia. Efforts are on to develop this library further more, in addition to about two thousand and five hundred titles.
Besides, the University Central Library has also quite a number of reference volumes and works written by the contemporaries of Thanthai Periyar.
Endowments in the CEPT
- 01. G.V.K. Aasan Memorial Trust. – Meant for arranging special lectures on Thanthai Periyar.
- 02. D.Venkata Nagarjuna Babu Endowment. – Meant for conducting Periyar memorial lectures.
- 03. Dr.P.S..Justice Somasundaram Endowment – Meant for special lecture on Annai Maniammaiyar Birith Day Celebration
- 04. Mr. Arivukkarasu Ranjitham Endowment – Meant for students who pursue advanced research on Periyar
Dissemination of Periyarism to the younger generation
The major objective of the CEPT is to disseminate the ideals of Thanthai Periyar even among the school students of Middle, High, and Higher levels consisting of Standards from the Sixth to the Eleventh. To enable these boys and girls to easily understand the life and works of Periyar, a set of one thousand questions and answers has been prepared in the form of booklets in Tamil , English and French and they have been supplied to those students who are desirous of sitting for an Examination on Periyar of two hours duration. The question paper pattern is objective type with 90 questions for 90 minutes duration with the maximum of 90 marks.
This written test is not compulsory but still nearly a lakh of students from all over Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry appeared from hundreds of High Schools and Higher Secondary Schools. Those who scored the highest marks in each district were given cash prizes .Participation Certificates were issued to all those who appeared for the examination.
State level toppers were given not only cash prizes but offered a chance to visit Delhi, the capital of India with the financial aid of the Centre along with an official guide to assist them.
Every year this examination is conducted in the month of September - October. Those who are interested in conducting this set of examinations may contact The Director, Centre of Excellence for Periyar Thought, Periyar Maniammai University Vallam, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu State.