Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was started in the year 1988, with an objective to provide better inputs to the postgraduate engineering degree programmes.
The Department has built up a strong research base over the years. In the year 2004 it has started the Periyar Renewable Energy Training Institute, with the grant from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India, with an objective to provide hands-on training and to promote entrepreneurship in the field of renewable energy. Several graduating students and unemployed graduates, particularly the rural women get benefited by the programmes.
The Department regularly conducts a number of national and regional level seminars, workshops and short-term courses for the benefit of students and faculty members of Periyar Maniammai University and other Institutions. This Department works in close ccoordination with MNRE, Tamil Nadu Energy Development Agency, Khadi and Village Industry Commission.
- B.Tech. (Full time and Part time)
- M.Tech. in Renewable Energy (Full time and Part time) supported by Periyar R&D Centre for Solar and Bio Energies
- M.Tech. in Automation & Control (Full time and Part time) supported by Centre of Excellence for Training and Research in Automation Technologies and in collaboration with M/s Bosch Rexroth (India) Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru.
- Ph.D. (Full time and Part time)
- Certificate course in Energy Management in collaboration with University of Maryland, U.S.A.